Monday, January 15, 2007

Don't Try This At Home...

Wife’s comment: “This not a Mythbuster’s lab. Don’t try this at home. Puchaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhahahahahaha!”

So what idiotic thing did I do to my self with the microwave? An urban legend in the making: On my toasted bagel I spread cashew butter as an alternative spread. It was a little dry, so I decided to add some honey. Unfortunately the honey was a solid, sugary lump in the bottom of the squeeze bottle. No problem, I’ll just nuke it for a few seconds. 20 would have done, but no, lazy ass that I am, I hit the add 1 minute button and walked away.

Now I knew it was a little too hot when I took it out, but all my past experience with honey in a squeeze bottle told me that it is thick and slow moving and you have to patiently squeeze and wait for it to ooze out. New experience tells me that when you nuke it for 1 minute it shoots out like a molten honey volcano. It nailed me in the arm, producing a 2nd degree burn which I hosed for 5 minutes with cold water, then iced for about an hour and a half before the pain was under control. Fortunately my curious 4-year old was on the other side of the volcano.

I’ll say it again: Don’t try this at home! (Do it at work :-) )


Update: 1/28/2007


Thirteen days have passed since this failed mythbusters experiement, and I still have a scab on my arm. It is almost ready to come off and return to normal skin...Can you believe this?

1 Comments:

Blogger Bittersweet Confusion said...

Just for future reference... If you try to boil water in a microwave let it sit for 10 secs before adding anything to it... If you don't it will explode in your face...

Tue Jun 05, 03:07:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home